It is hard to believe, but we are more than half-way finished with this school year! Things are going very well at Columbus, and as always, on behalf of our devoted teachers and staff, we thank your family for the continuous support and partnership. In everything we do together, in collaboration, your children benefit greatly.
I am thrilled to share that this year—for the first time ever—your children will participate in week-long arts enrichment programs at our school! A few weeks ago, our entire 4th grade studied African drumming and dance with two talented, resident artists—the kids performed for our school and their families at the end of the five days!
This week, 5th graders are working alongside a well-known artist, Michael Albert, to construct a large collage that represents their perspectives on New Rochelle! This collage will hang permanently in our school, and we’ll reproduce a copy so that the Columbus PTA can sell a poster as a fundraiser. The children are so excited to learn from a professional artist. At the end of this month, 3rd grade students will spend six days studying traditional Mexican dancing with a resident artist, Alberto, from the Calpulli Mexican Dance Company. 3rd graders will perform for their families, on stage, as well. Finally, throughout March, kindergarten kids will learn about Jazz Dancing and study with professional dancers over 9 days! And yes, even our kindergarten kids will perform on stage. (We are still working on programs for 2nd and 1st grade classes). In all, we are very excited to be able to provide your children with more rich and layered school experiences this year. We care that your children develop academically, emotionally, socially, and also artistically. And we are just beginning!
I wish to share a few key dates and reminders for your review. Please find ways to stay connected to your school and your children’s education at Columbus!
Thursday, January 30, 6-8pm—Census 2020 Job Fair at Columbus. Please join your local Councilwoman, Ms. Martha Lopez, who will speak about the upcoming 2020 National Census and present job opportunities that are available. You can earn $21-$23/hour working in New Rochelle for the Census!
- The Board of Education is coming to Columbus on Tuesday, February 4th. Please come to the meeting at 7:00 pm.
- Every Friday morning at 9:15 a.m., all are welcome to join Ms. Alycia DaLoia-Moore for our long-running Columbus Moms’/Parent’s Friday meetings. On Friday, February 7th, the meeting will also coincide with a Columbus PTA meeting, and Dr. Feijóo is joining us!
- HALF DAYS –
- February 3 (11:10 early dismissal)
- March 2 (11:40 early dismissal)
- March 23 (11:10 early dismissal)
- You may schedule another Parent-Teacher Conference for March 2nd. Please email or speak with your child’s teacher now to schedule a second conference!
- If you wish to support the National Champion Columbus Chess Team, please see their goFundme page to donate toward the kids’ journey to Nationals once again! https://www.gofundme.com/f/columbus-pta-chess-team
- Your children use three great computer programs at school—please make a plan for your kids to do Dreambox, Lexia Core5, and RAZkids at home each night as well!
Please continue to communicate regularly with your child’s teacher. Please email Ms. Owens or Mr. Galland as well if we can ever assist your family in our partnership to support your children. You can always email us easily at: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Michael Galland and Shelli Owens